A redesigned wsduino kit is now available.
Updated Apr 24, 2012
This kit is DISCONTINUED (not available for sale anymore).
If you are looking into building an Arduino-based clock or a system that requires time keeping, this board is for you. Wiseduino+ not only offers an on-board real time clock, but an extremely accurate one, based on the DS3231 chip from Maxim.
Wiseduino+ is fully compatible with Arduino Duemilanove, from both the hardware (shields) and software (Arduino IDE) perspectives.
Since many people dislike (or are not comfortable with) soldering SMDs, the kit comes with the RTC chip DS3231 already soldered. (Note that there is no DS3231 in DIP form available.) All other parts are through-hole. Sockets are provided for the two other ICs (ATmega328 microcontroller and 24LC256 EEPROM).
Wiseduino+ kit contains the following parts:
- PCB (green), with a (cuttable) prototyping area;
- ATmega328 microcontroller chip, with 28-pin DIL socket;
- DS3231 RTC chip, soldered on the board;
- 24LC256 EEPROM chip, with 16-pin DIL socket;
- 16MHz crystal;
- 2 x 22pF capacitors;
- 2N2222 npn transistor;
- 4 x 100nF decoupling capacitors;
- 6 x 10k resistors;
- 40-pin female header;
- CR1220 coin battery, with socket;
- micro power switch;
- 2-pin polarized power connector with wires attached;
- clip for 9V-style battery (for use with a battery holder ONLY; NEVER connect to a 9V battery);
- 6-pin right angle male header, used as FTDI connector.
A partially assembled board is shown in the photo below.
From the software perspective, any sketch developed for Wiseduino should work without changes on Wiseduino+.